HARTFORD, Ky. — The Ohio County Sheriff’s Office received complaints about a scam involving the classified advertisement website, Craigslist.
According to Ohio County Sheriff Tracy Beatty, the scammer uses a fake name and account to contact victims on Craig’s List and attempts to purchase whatever the seller is selling. The scammer sends a check from a business account for a much larger amount of money than what the seller asks for the item. The scammer then requests the seller to notify them when the check is cashed and asks for the additional money be wired back to them.
The Ohio County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind everyone of the following:
- Use caution when receiving checks in the mail unexpectedly or for a large amount.
- If someone is requesting payment by gift cards then it is most likely a scam.
- Never send your personal information to someone you do not know.
- Talk to senior loved ones and make sure they are not being scammed.
- If it seems too good to be true then it probably is!